Compare and buy VPN software. We will help you to make the right decision. VPNs help protect your online activity but are also used for several other purposes like unblocking of geographical or censored content. People also use VPNs for protection like avoiding tracking, mallware or block advertisement. Another use case for a VPN is to get more privacy or stay anonomous in a world where everything is tracked and logged. If you use a VPN right your traffic can stay secure and goverments or Internet Service Provider (ISP) cannot see what information you are looking for. You can also use a VPN to learn another language or browse content as if you are in that country.
Most important VPN features
VPNs come with lots of different features. Here you can find an overview of some of the features and what’s important:
- Servers and locations – It is very important that a VPN provider has alot of capacity in terms of internet speed and compute (server) power. It is also important to have VPN servers available nearby, in the location you live or where you want to break out.
- Compatible devices – Can you use the VPN software on your devices? For example Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, your router, Xbox, Playstation or SmartTV? How many devices do you need to connect simultaneous? Those are important questions to ask yourself before buying a VPN.
- Privacy and protection – It’s import that you can trust your VPN provider and that your data is not being sold or misused. Also the level of encryption is important to make sure your privacy and security is insured. Always choose a paid VPN over a free VPN because of privacy. It’s important that nobody can intercept your traffic. It’s also important that a VPN service can block advertisments, phising and malware, however their are also other methods to do so, for example ad blockers.
- Kill switch and always on – If you have a hiccup in your network connection, the VPN client on your computer, laptop, phone or tablet can block all or some of the traffic. The VPN can also be switched on automatically when switching between networks, or when the operating system is started. This features is called always on.
- Unblock geographic content – One of the major reasons for many people is to unblock geographic content like Netflix, Hayu, HBO or Disney+ libraries, TV networks like ESPN, Channel4 or other sport channels. You can also use VPNs for secure downloading or other purposes that needs to block censored data.
Last updated August 2022
ExpressVPN is currently the best and well known VPN provider. ExpressVPN was founded in 2009 and is based in privacy haven British Virgin Islands (BVI). Beside being the oldest and largest VPN providers in the world ExpressVPN is a very progressive VPN provider and was the first to have developed features such as RAM-only servers and their own protocols. ExpressVPN is the best VPN in unblocking streaming services and is very reliable and fast. ExpressVPN does not support ad blocking and anti malware. Want to read the full ExpressVPN review? Click here
NordVPN was founded in 2012 and is based in privacy haven Panama. NordVPN is one of the major VPN providers in the market. Besides general use VPN servers, NordVPN also offers servers for specific purposes, like P2P sharing, connecting to the Tor network or double encryption using multihop servers. NordVPN offers the fastest VPN service around the world. NordVPN offers a VPN for a very reasonable price and is therefor very populair. NordVPN is also given praise for their userfriendly applications. Want to read more about NordVPN? Click here
Surfshark is a VPN provider founded in 2018 and based in privacy haven the British Virgin Islands (BVI). Surfshark has grown massively over the last years. Surfshark is a trustworthy VPN provider which dilvers a very competitive and good VPN service for a very reasonable price. Surfshark has all the major features implemented and develops new features in rapid speed. The only thing Surfshark is still working on is their global coverage, and they have to improve their speed on some locations. Want to read the full Surfshark review? Click here
Why use a VPN?
The main purpose of a VPN is to hide and protect your online activity. VPNs are often used to protect you against hackers and protect you on public networks i.e. the internet, airport or restaurant Wi-Fi. Hackers can use a variety of methods to intercept sensitive information you enter on websites. Using that information, they can try to impersonate you, gaining access to bank accounts, credit card information, and more.VPNs use encryption which help you to protect your data more.
Internet Service Providers (ISP) and governments are collecting alot of data. Hiding your IP address on the internet can protect you from targeted advertising or tracking. But make sure you take multiple steps to avoid tracking. Use the right browser, without coockies, etc. DuckDuckGo is a good example of a good privacy browser.
Data throttling happens when you have consumed a specific amount of your available data, and your internet service provider (ISP) then decides to slow your service down. When using a VPN you can void this. By extension bandwidth throttling is when your internet speed is intentionally slowed down by your ISP. This is done when you visit certain websites or engage in certain internet activity i.e. torrenting. A VPN encryps your traffic and hides your IP address.
Reviews of ExpressVPN, NordVPN or Surfshark
Above you see some of the key features and characteristics of the VPN providers. We have reviewed the VPNs and tried them ourselfs. You can see our speedtests, read the pros and cons, and see the prices.
Why pay for a VPN?
You are maybe asking yourself the question why pay for a VPN service? There are also free VPN services available. This article is not to scare you, but to make sure you understand the drawbacks and possible security risks involved if you will use a free VPN.
The main reason why we think you should pay for a VPN service is to make sure your privacy and anonimity is protected. Otherwise why even use a VPN service? It costs quite a bit of money to setup and maintain a worldwide network of VPN servers. You need a datacenter, network, servers, internet connections, people to do maintenance and upgrades, etc. Paid VPNs provide a better level of security and privacy in comparison to free VPNs. Also the bandwidth speeds are much more guaranteed and higher with paid VPNs.
Also keep in mind, that a VPN service doesn’t have to be very expensive. Go to the “Compare VPNs” page to find out more about paid VPNs and their features.
Best VPN for Windows, Android and iOS
Below you can find the reviews per platform. All the VPN providers on this site have good support for Windows, Android and iOS. If you have more specific needs for example multimedia devices we advise you to check the website of the VPN provider.
Hosting and maintaining a website is not free. If you like the content on this website we would really appreciate a small donation. We also use affiliate links on our website.
Follow us on Twitter